Thursday, October 18, 2007

Encouragement

I must have struck a chord or two (no pun intended!) with my previous post as I have had several responses, and requests not to drive people too hard!! Sorry chaps! I am always conscious that we have a lot of work to get done in just two hours a month and tend to just charge on forwards leaving no casualties! I shall try my hardest to be gentle with all the singers in the future.

I have now sent out voice-by-voice MP3 files for people to a) practise the texts of our new songs and b) practise their harmonies. This worked miracles last year and left us with time to work on nuances and style during the rehearsals.

The true reason I am writing today is to report a very special conversation I had this week with Frances and Anne. The latter said she was particularly moved by my translation of part of my song "Help Me Find My Way" :
When I enter my darkly wooded fears...
She said this spoke volumes to her and that gospel songs often said things in a way which touched her like no traditional hymn ever had. There was some debate between the three of us as to whether this was a cultural thing (French/English) or a religious thing(catholic/protestant). I'm not sure we really came down on one side or the other but we all agreed that singing gospel should be a prayer and not something we do by rote. Obviously this choir is working in some people's lives, which is what I hoped. As for myself I pray to be a vehicle for whatever message there is for the singers.
I heard an interesting thought on BBC Radio 4's Daily Service today : It is not up to us to convince or convert people. Our job is to bear witness. Christians can be a way for others to reach God. I shall try to be more modest in my ambitions.

God's peace to all.
Gospella

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home