Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Summer Gospel 2007

The come-down after the last intensive and intense three days of gospel is a little hard but while it's still fresh in my mind I shall try and share some of it with you.

Once again, this was a weekend of hard work and fellowship. The difference this year was that the choir never split up for smaller workshops as it had done in previous years. It meant that the final performance of the songs was better, of course, but it also meant less time to explore other things and get to know people on a more personal level. Some of the members of our little gospel group regretted this. At least they did at the end of the first day ; but that was before the arrival of Wayne Ellington and Karen Gibson from London. As I watched my singers I saw they were riveted to the stage listening and enjoying themselves.

The first day got off to a start with a word of welcome which I appreciated, as the importance of the Word of God was insisted on (the true meaning of gospel after all). In previous years I had felt God took second place to the music so this was, from my point of view, an appropriate start. Others from my choir disagree as they hate "preaching".

The work that day was dedicated to two compositions by Erwan Jan (both very funky, and unlike the beautiful ballads we've heard in the past). These really got people moving and were rather challenging from a rythmic point of view. Then we moved on to working with Taïa Kronberg on songs by Martha Munizzi and the Chicago mass Choir. The former "Because of Who You Are" will remain one of my favourites from this course. The dynamics were quite well mastered by the choir and at the final concert the excellent soloist, Lurine Cato, made the song very moving. Unfortunately, on stage we couldn't really hear the soloists as the foldback wasn't very loud. I think this was for recording purposes as the concert was being recorded on the Sunday evening.

On the Friday evening there was a video concert of various songs. We didn't stay for that as we were already quite tired and knew the weekend was going to be a long one!

Saturday : Getting up was a bit of a struggle and the warm-up session with Erwan was welcome and necessary. There was major revision of the previous days' songs as well as a little advice on vocal technique. Some work on twanging and vibrato, as well as breathing and voice control. This was interesting. Some of the singers I know wanted to be able to do it immediately, but I pointed out that the course just gives information and then it's up to us to practise!! I saw several people in the choir handing round throat sprays, pastilles etc. so the hard work was beginning to tell. The rest of the day was taken over by Karen Gibson and Wayne Ellington.

It was a pleasure to watch how they work together with such complicity and professionalism. After a while I was called to interpret into French so learning the songs at the same time meant extra concentration. I was already very tired by the end of the day. In the evening our gospel singers went out for dinner and then came back to the hall for an "open stage" evening. We had decided to share our small repertoire with the others.

I am very proud of our group, especially those who didn't know the songs before Wednesday evening and had learned them especially! We had practised during our Saturday lunchtime picnic on the banks of the Loire. We sang "It's Me Oh Lord", "Were You There" (and the choir's dynamics were well done), "This Train" (well done with the difficult lyrics), "Mary Had a Baby" (directed by Mary as it's from our large village choir repertoire) and then we finished with a jazzy number, which isn't gospel, called "Le Petit Cireur d'Harlem" about a shoe-shine boy in Harlem who wears no shoes himself. I have a scat solo to do in that which I always enjoy, but I must admit it's not the same singing it with 8 voices as backing instead of the usual 40!!
I was very pleased with our performance and touched when Wayne Ellington said it was great !! (Well done choir!)
Some of them complained about lack of voice on the way home in the car (thank you, Carole, for driving us around all weekend in your minivan) but after a (short) night's sleep they were OK again.

Sunday morning started with an interesting physical warm-up by Wayne called "The Sleeping Bag" in which you emerge slowly from your duvet and stretch. Done correctly this really does get you to stretch all your muscles. The title was apt too as I was exhausted already!

Then his vocal warm-ups were interesting too. They aimed at not only warming the voice but working on voice control and rythm. I shall steal these ideas for my choir. Karen arrived after that and did some work on vocal technique : opening the voice and twang. I was interpreting for her all day and was challenged by terms such as "ari-epiglotic sphincter" (sp?) and "glottal pop" but I always rise to a challenge. (Fortunately we had brought a speech therapist with us who helped out there in French! It's all about knowing the right people!!!)

The other songs we worked on were a coded spiritual "Ride On King Jesus" (four-part a capella harmony which I shall borrow for the village choir) and Andrae Crouch's "Bless The Lord" (ditto), "Whatever You Want (God's Got It)" (played so fast by the musicians it almost made you choke), "You Covered Me" and "We've Come To Lift You Up".

Sunday afternoon was the 'dress' rehearsal. It went on until after 8pm and the concert was to start at 9pm! I didn't picnic with my friends. I preferred to take a few minutes to myself to eat my sandwich, get changed and pray.
The concert was a success. Everyone gave their all and there were some very moving moments such as Wayne 's solo of "Divine Love" which made Taïa cry and "Because of Who You Are" and "You Covered Me" which made me cry!
I was privileged to interpret Karen's personal message for the audience. I feel I contribute to my spiritual duty when doing such work. I would love to more of it : I wonder how I can get more involved in using my gifts for the Lord?

After the concert I spent a while translating for Karen and finally said goodbye. It is always rather sad to say goodbye to the people of this course as I'm never sure that we'll meet up again. I have always particularly appreciated Karen (let's be honest : I love her) as every year she has said something that has come just at the right time in my life. God surely does work in mysterious ways. She is generous enough to allow me to share occasional news from our choir. I was sorry she didn't stay for the 'open stage' evening to see how we were getting on but when sleep calls...

It is really great to see faces I met at previous courses. These people really make an impact on you even if you only meet them for one weekend. Some of the highlights I was honoured to experience this time include :
  • a lady who gave me the gift of a personal rendition of the Letter to Timothy in Ewé (from Togo);
  • another who explained her love of others which she expresses through buddhism;
  • the lady in an electric wheelchair who participated valiantly in the concert and then took herself home unaccompanied and undaunted at midnight;
  • hearing Karen explain how to use your gifts to honour God in a spirit of sharing and not being afraid to use them
  • seeing my singers have such fun and make such progress (it is a privilege to serve them)
  • the lady who told us gospel singing is helping her through health difficulties and a time of divorce
  • having to take time out during the afternoon session as I was just too full of emotion and burst into tears. ..
I could go on. How to sum up something so vast! I am trying to by setting up a forum for my singers to share their thoughts. I shall report on the results in a subsequent blog.

This has been long and bless you if you have read to the end! Time to sign off and let all this weekend mature in my thoughts. Until the next time...
Gospella

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home