Friday, October 06, 2006

Sheet music

I love it when you open the mailbox and inside you find a parcel you've been expecting for a while. Today the two books of Gospel music I had ordered from the UK arrived and I have spent the afternoon seeing if any would be suitable for the choir on Thursday.

One book is arranged for a-cappella choirs and the songs are pretty standard. The other is a bit more exciting and modern but requires accompaniement and soloists. I am generally the soloist when I sing with the people involved in this group but I can't lead and sing solo at the same time so I'll have to either re-arrange the pieces or hope someone else steps up! (Unfortunately, the ones with great voices don't want to be centre stage - never my problem ;-D)

Out of the new books I think we'll try "Were you there?" for a soft number and I'd like to try and put together "Jesus On The Mainline". It's really snappy and I can hear it in my head already. I reckon it will take us a good few tries to learn it but it would be worth it in the long run. I have also decided to start with a couple of songs we learned on the gospel course : "Come Here Jesus" which is fairly simple and should encourage the group to get started; and "God Great God" - but I only have my memory to go on. Actually, I don't play the piano so that's pretty much all I have to go on most of the time anyway! It's rather an ambitious piece but I think you've got to keep people motivated and it's a high energy number. Also, there will be at least one person from each voice (soprano, alto, tenor) present who already know the song which should help to move things along.

Still no change on the venue so I hope our friend lights a stove in her basement! It's been pouring with rain for two days and is cold - we're going to have to do a lot of warming up exercises if this weather continues. We are hoping the municipality will find us a place to rehearse. There is a great new theatre rehearsal room with good acoustics but I suspect other associations have set their sights on it already. Maybe just once a month? Pretty please? I'll have to butter up the mayor : he has a weakspot for my carrot cake. Maybe that'll do the trick...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home